Woodberry Down Area

Woodberry Down is North London’s innovative regeneration project, which, once completed, will feature more than 5,500 new homes occupying 64 acres surrounding Finsbury Park and two existing reservoirs. All of these amenities can be found within a few minutes of central London and the City. The development is committed to maintaining the natural habitat and conserving energy, thus enhancing wildlife habitats.  Woodberry Down has focused on establishing a sustainable community that includes extensive and improved public open spaces as well as innovative new facilities for the local community.

Until 1820, this was farmland being used for dairy farming. New roads were developed in the 1820s. When abandoned clay pits were converted into reservoirs, flooding was reduced.

To begin with, this portion of Stoke Newington had been transformed into “the posh end of the district,” and this was home to a number of wealthy Jewish families as well as Albert Chevalier, the music hall artiste.

In 1934, despite strong opposition, the London County Council took possession of the entire Woodberry Down and after World War II began the construction of a ‘future estate’. The project had been completed on 64 acres of land and 57 flat blocks were constructed by the time it was completed in 1962.

A mix of deck and corridor access was available to the 2,500 homes, most of which had two- or three-bedroom units. Woodberry Down School in South London became the first purpose-built comprehensive school in Britain in 1955. Woodberry Down, like some other utopian schemes, was compromised by an array of typical inner-city issues. Water penetration and structural issues plagued the flats, and the flats had few amenities.

Check North Acton Area