It is located right on the border between Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea in South-West London. Under the West London Line railway, the historical boundary of Counter’s Creek has been lost.
The name refers to the formerly known part of London called Brompton, situated to the east. The Old Brompton Road links it with its namesake in the west, located in Earls Court and South Kensington. Until the second half of the 19th century, Brompton was also referred to as Little Chelsea. However, rapid urbanization of the district led it to become part of the London.
The Brompton Cemetery is the most iconic landmark of the area, a Grade I listed building, built between 1837 and 1839 and designed by Benjamin Baud. As the area was predominantly devoted to growing market gardens, including the leading nursery of James Veitch & Sons, hospitals near London were by design established by philanthropic sources. Brompton was the only place that made sense as a location for a healthy business.
The Royal Brompton Hospital came into being because of chest diseases. In Brompton, the Marsdens chose a site along Fulham Road in memory of their daughter, and they decided to create a hospital that was named after her. Built in 1859 by the Lawrence Company, the Royal Marsden Hospital became famous when it was officially opened in 1861. Beatrix Potter was a well-known author and illustrator who lived in the area.
West Brompton today
West Brompton is today bordered by the north and east by West Kensington, the south and west by Fulham and Alex. The historic Lilly Enclave is called for demolition along with three social housing estates under the aegis of Mayor Boris Johnson, resulting in the obliteration of the majority of wildlife habitats and land.
In the neighborhood are also the Brompton Park Crescent estate, located on the site of the old Fulham (Fever) Hospital along with the once associated Fulham Ambulance Station. There remains a hospital block of wards and this is now called “Lillie Bridge House” although it is located approximately a quarter of a mile from the bridge along Seagrave Road. Further down this road are Brompton Oratory, The London Oratory School, and The South London Conservation Area along with many late Victorian terrace streets. These are now fronted by the towering new highrise Lillie Square development, which has emerged from the former athletics field. The Earl’s Court Exhibition Car Park, more recently, wanted to integrate ‘urban living’ into the quiet, historic, and rural atmosphere of this tiny enclave. It obscured church spires, the trees of Brompton Cemetery, and was largely constructed out of landfill.
Check Motspur Park Area