Motspur Park is a suburb of London that is located in the southwest London of the capital, in the New Malden district. Kingston upon Thames and Merton are included within its boundaries.
Motspur Park is identified as the home to the station of the same name, which was opened in 1925, and a number of shops right next door. Gas holder stands just south of the shopping arcade and can be seen from a wide area. Three of them can be seen from the shopping parade.
A two-mile stretch of Beverley Brook and its short tributary, Pyl Brook, run parallel to the east through Motspur Park: the Brook runs through the centre, and the Pyl Brook runs through shallow depressions to the east.
The stadium at Motspur Park has been in operation since 1928 when it was built by the University of London and gained fame in 1938 when the world mile record was set there. Fulham Football Club purchased the stadium in 1999 as their training facility.
A road once lay on the site, Motspur Park, and Chilmark Gardens, and the name Motspur is derived from it. This map uses a variation of Mospur that dates from 1865. “Park” was prefixed in the late nineteenth century to mirror a continuous belt of “Park” districts, which included Worcester Park, Raynes Park and Stoneleigh Park. The local land was used primarily for intensive agriculture, and this intensive production became known as a park in this area. However, “Park” incorrectly implies the area was a converted landscaped garden or an enclosure. In fact the term was adopted by local governments, railroad companies, and building developers in their publicity literature to appeal to high-end residents in these new outer commuter suburbs.
West Barnes area was part of traditional Surrey county for centuries and known as the West Barnes district in the past. It was largely rural due to the lack of a railway station at the end of the nineteenth century. Older maps do not draw attention to two roads, West Barnes Lane and Blakes Lane. They came into existence in a rural setting. They were located just north of West Barnes Lane and Merton Abbey’s west end and were an integral part of the Merton Abbey estates.
Check Worlds End Estate Area