Elephant and Castle Area

Elephant and Castle Area

In south London, England, in the London Borough of Southwark, there is an area around a major junction known as the Elephant and Castle. As a result of being close to the London Underground station of the same name, this area is also usually referred to as Walworth or Newington. A local inn is regarded as the origin of the name.

Elephant and Castle is the newly constructed section of the A3, which links two major traffic junctions within the conurbation. The Elephant and Castle Shopping Center is located between the two buildings and has been shut down to allow regeneration. Hannibal House is the building above the shopping center. These are the Metropolitan Central Heights, located south of the Metro Center and north of Newington Causeway. A residential building called Strata SE1 sits on Walworth Road, just south of Castle House.

Dubbed Elephant and Castle, the hotel’s name originates from a nearby coaching inn. The first recording of the name in connection with this district appears in the Court Leet Book of the Manor of Walworth, held on 21 March 1765 at the Elephant and Castle in Newington. The name has been explained as the English form of “La Infanta de Castilla,” an allusion to Maria Anna of Spain, whom Charles I attempted to wed in 1673. Through history, this has existed, but it has been mistaken for something else. The blacksmith and cutlers occupied the site previously–more likely than the archeological evidence for St. George’s site is the association with the Worshipful Company of Cutlers, which used elephant ivory in their handles.


It used to be known as Newington, and two of its principal roads are Newington Butts and Newington Causeway. According to the Domesday Book, a church was built at this house . Even its income from tithes supplied clothing for the monks at Canterbury Cathedral . St Mary, Newington, a parish in the south central region of Oxford, was first recorded in 1222 and situated near our southern roundabout. 

In May 1557 they were burned at the stake at St George’s Field in London. They were among the Southwark Martyrs during that time.

Check Blackheath London Area