Blackheath is a neighbourhood that sits on the border between London Boroughs of Greenwich and Lewisham, in Southeast London. There is a major transportation hub within about 6.4 miles South of Charing Cross, a traditional center of London. Lewisham is located 1 mile north of Greenwich, 1.5 miles south of Greenwich and 1.5 miles south of Greenwich.
The Lee Park district is located to the south-west of the station within its ward. Furthermore, St John’s Blackheath, which is situated north of Vanbrugh Park, offers amenities beyond it has traditionally had and is a project of St John’s Blackheath. Seen to its west is the main public green space of the Heath and Greenwich Park, through which major tourist attractions of London can be accessed, such as the Greenwich Observatory and Greenwich Prime Meridian. There is a train station on Blackheath Heath to the south.
Old English words – ‘blc’ and ‘hth’ – are the origin of the English name. A word for the name is brown and black heath is seen in the Domesday Book records as Stainfield or Stain. It was an upland, open space that was used as a meeting point for the hundred of Blackheath. It is pleasantly situated on elevated ground, commanding beautiful views of the surrounding countryside, richly cultivated, and abounds with fine scenery”.
In the 18th century, Greenwich Cricket Club found their headquarters on Blackheath, which was the site of cricket matches. Kent v London was the first senior match when played in August 1730. A journalist report of the time stated that, “the Kents would have seen their honours lost if they had been beaten at the end of one innings”. Kent defeated London by 47 runs in August 1769 in the last match recorded.
The game of cricket continued on the “Heath”, however at a junior level. When London County Council maintained 36 pitches in 1890, athletic stadiums had already become a competition standard. The club has been active in Charlton for many years. In 1883 it acquired the Rectory Field and redeveloped it as a home ground for Blackheath Rugby Club. Kent County first-class matches were played 84 times between 1887 & 1971 at the Blackheath Cricket Club.
One of Blackheath Rugby Club’s oldest players, Charles Gower was born in 1858 and played for the club until 2016. Every year he participates in international rugby tournaments. The Blackheath club also organized and hosted the first international rugby match between England and Scotland on 27 March 1871 in Edinburgh. Ten years later, the players met in the Princess of Wales taproom to change and prepare for the first international between England and Wales. A number of Blackheath neighborhoods, including Blackheath Proprietary School, along with nearby Percival House (Blackheath), were once part of the Football Association.
Check South Kensington Area