Chalk Farm is a suburb situated in north London, in London Borough of Camden, immediately north of Camden Town.
An estate that is mentioned on the Domesday Book of 1086 was originally called Chalk Farm, a manor known as Rugmere Manor. This was one of five manors that made up Saint Pancras Ancient Parish. Woodcock’s Pool is thought to be Rugmere.
Henry VIII acquired part of the manor, which later became Regent’s Park, however the rest of the manor was referred to as Chalk Farm. Part of St Pancras remained detached from St Pancras and remained associated with the parish.
Chalk Farm was referred to as Chalk Farm for short when it was sold by Charles FitzRoy, 1st Baron Southampton, in 1786. Rugmere is sometimes used as a field name, which seems to have endured a long time.
This area doesn’t have a formal name but is part of St Pancras, the Ancient Parish and Borough. The core area of the London Borough of Lambeth lies between St Pancras Road and Chalk Farm Road in the east. a part of Primrose Hill that extends from the Ainger Road and may be considered a part of Hampstead.
Chalk Farm is probably part of Camden Town and Primrose Hill, along with the Haverstock ward. By 2020, Camden will undergo a review of its wards, with some being abolished or having their boundaries redrawn.
Chalk Farm is actually the northern area of Camden Town and has a wide selection of pubs, live music venues, restaurants and shops.
The Roundhouse, an old circular pumping station turned into a 360° arts & performance venue, is not far from the tube station.
Several educational institutions are located in the Chalk Farm area.
It was originally launched at Camden College of English in Chalk Farm.
The Chalk Farm bus garage; Harmood Street, operated numerous major bus routes for over 70 years. Today, both the long established routes 27 and 393, which operate through Chalk Farm, terminate here. The buses travel in opposite directions outside of central London: Clapton and Hammersmith.
Check West Brompton Area