Strand-on-the-Green is an exceptionally picturesque neighborhood in Chiswick in Western London, situated alongside the Thames. Its inclusion in the present-day Chiswick came about as a result of the merging of four older villages.
Location and description
On the south bank of the river Thames, Strand-on-the-Green lies immediately north of Kew Bridge. Named by the first section of the Kew Bridge Road, the riverside path also shares the same name as the area itself.
Looking downstream at the City Barge pub from the Strand on the Green promenade, flooding water can be seen below.
The riverbank is surrounded by numerous Victorian houses and pubs, overlooking the river that flows into the Tideway. when the tide rises on spring tides, the narrowed river recedes beneath the embankments. Before the construction of the Thames Barrier, basement flooding and other types of flooding had occurred to many properties.
In 1869, a railway bridge was erected between the City Barge and Bull’s Head Pubs that has been used by bus and rail transportation ever since.
Based on research conducted on other river skulls dating from the same period, it can be assumed that the skulls found near Strand-on-the-Green may have dated to the 18th century. 600 BC. Also in Strand-on-the-Green pottery has been discovered that dates back to Roman times.
In 1353 “Stronde” was the first written record of Strand-on-the-Green. Since 1593, it has been known as ‘Strand Green’ and since 1760, it has been ‘Strand under Green’. The almshouses were originally built in 1658, but have since been replaced with new buildings between 1721 and 1724. In the village of Little Sutton lies the present Chiswick, which was formed by the merging of four villages.
Strand-on-the-Green, towards the left, on the River Thames from Oliver’s Island.
This island is located in the river Thames between Strand-on-the-Green and St Paul’s Church (the church is on a hilltop). The island acquired its name due to reports of Oliver Cromwell having used the island as a hideout during the English Civil War, where military councils were held at the Bull’s Head pub. However, there is no significant evidence to support this claim. Buildings have been constructed on the island since 1777, as have barges that used to collect tolls.
Check Old Ford Area