It is in the north London suburb of Muswell Hill. Part of the borough is located in Haringey, while the remainder is in Barnet. Highgate is located near Hampstead Garden Suburb and East Finchley as well as Crouch End and Crouch End. Many streets of Edwardian architecture can be found in this part of the city.
Muswell Hill is primarily in the Hornsey and Wood Green constituency and postcode district N10. Muswell Hill, which is a post-code district, had just over 27,000 residents when the government census was taken in 2011.
The first written record of Muswell Hill was drawn up in 1238. A newly formed order of nuns was given 65 acres (26 ha) of land on the east side of Colney Hatch Lane by the Bishop of London, Lord of Haringey. Our Lady of Muswell was a chapel built by the nuns on the site.
A natural spring or well is said to have miraculous properties which gave the name to Muswell (the “Mossy Well”). A traditional legend relates that before drinking the water, King Malcolm IV of Scotland was cured of his sickness. At the end of medieval times, people from all over the world would pilgrimage to the area in order to seek healing. This district is home to the Mosa, which was initially called Mosella. It is now the River Moselle. The name Muzzle Hill was commonly pronounced by “Muzzle Hill” from the nineteenth century until the 1950s.
Muswell Hill was not developed into the densely populated suburban community it is today until the end of the 19th century. Building on the easternmost of North London’s gravel hills, Alexandra Palace was a massive pleasure pavilion constructed in 1873. It was intended to be a match for the Crystal Palace in south London. The Alexandra Palace branchline railway was served by a station at Highgate, and an intermediate station at Muswell Hill (please see below). The railway station at the foot of the Alexandra Palace station was connected to Finsbury Park and the Kings Cross by another route.
Check Brent Cross Area