Chiswick

Chiswick is a neighborhood located in West London, England. This residential area contains Hogarth house, in which the artist William Hogarth once lived; Chiswick House, and renowned neo-Palladian villa known as one of the most beautiful in England; and fullers brewery, the oldest and largest brewery in London. The finishing point of the Boat Race is just downstream of Chiswick Bridge on a meander of the River Thames that is used for competitive and recreational rowing and where you will find a wide variety of rowing clubs in the area.

Chiswick, a former parish in Middlesex, was dependent on agriculture and fishing for its economy. Chiswick was well connected to London during the 19th and early 20th centuries, so it prospered and became an attractive country retreat. In 1932, Brentford and Chiswick became a part of the Greater London Metropolitan area, and in 1965, Hounslow joined that area. Chiswick is a wealthy neighborhood that consists of Grove Park, Bedford Park, the Glebe Estate, the Strand-on-the-Green, the Islington and Greenwich tube stations, as well as the Gunnersbury Triangle local conservation area.

History

The Old English name for Chiswick was Ceswican, and it is thought that the river side area of Dukes Meadows held an annual cheese fair until late in the 18th century. There is evidence that the area was settled by the Romans, and the Sutton manor house was built with brickwork that was found beneath Roman coins discovered at Turnham Green.

St Nicholas Church was the center of Chiswick until c. Throughout the Middle Ages, there were no bridges connecting London Bridge with Kingston due to the lack of bridges over the Thames. The population of the area was mostly urban farmers and fishermen, and there were also small boatyards on Church Street. Several other towns were established along the west road out of London at that time, including Turnham Green, Little Sutton, and Strand-on-the-Green.

Chiswick House Chiswick House was designed and built by the Third Earl of Burlington while another house which previously stood there was demolished in 1788; it is among the most stunning surviving Palladian houses in Britain, containing significant collections of artwork and furniture. Among one of the first English landscape gardens is the surrounding grounds, laid out by William Kent. In an wing that was demolished when the house was restored in 1956, 40 private patients were housed in wards that had been used as an asylum from 1892 to 1928.

Check Bethnal Green Area