The Blackfriars neighborhood is in the City of London, specifically on the south west london side of the downtown core.
The late Middle Ages saw a reorganization of the City of London with relatively few extensions. The square mile in New York City that was once entirely walled is called “The City” by many from outside the country. Locally is one of the outstanding extensions, as Blackfriars constitutes the northeastern corner of London. Temple occupies a unique place in local government, however.
In many transcriptions, this name is first referred to in a document dated 1317. The ‘brother’ title derives from the Latin word, frater, which is the origin of the French word, frère. The black cappa refers to the black religious robe that Dominican friars wear. The monks’ ecclesiastical headquarters moved to Ludgate Hill, another modest rise in London itself, in about 1276, from Holborn, where it was founded in the 1220s. Edward I granted permission for the rebuilding of the city wall, located to the north and west of the Fleet Brook and the Ludgate Hill. In 1522 Emperor Charles V visited the site, and seven years later, Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII attended the hearing of the dissolution of the monasteries at the site. The site was by legal process lost under Henry’s dissolution of the monasteries in 1538. A joint parish formed by Henry Parr and Katherine Parr.
Local wharves of Puddle Dock
Puddle Dock was the narrow street connecting the local wharfs to the main street before the early 20th century. They stood in the southern part of the city, south of the current Blackfriars area, by a large mudbank that was often dredged up and lined with piers and mooring posts. Wheatsheaf Wharf was a major component of this development. Paul’s Stairs is located in the eastern region of the modern floating pier, which leads to a relatively narrow foreshore, entirely tidal.
A group of entrepreneurs created the Blackfriars Theatre nearby with some of the buildings. A short distance away from the Globe Theatre, they worked. A pothecaries’ livery company acquired the 16th century guest house in 1632 and used it as its base of operations. The site was largely consumed in the Great Fire of London in 1665, but it was later rebuilt by the Apothecaries’ Society and is today a part of the Apothecaries’ Hall just north of the station.
Check Chobham Manor Area